Thursday, March 16, 2017

Day 5, Swimming & Roadside walking

Swimming
Swimming was part of my weekly life in Finland. The Finnish cities maintain public swimming pools in very high quality. They clean them to the best level and renovate them quite often. Hence my expectation for swimming pools was quite high. Even tough I'm going to complain a bit about swimming pool quality, I have just been to one place. Maybe it's not the best.

Guinness Swimming pool in Dublin (Photo credits espose.net)
I went to the Guinness Bicentenary Centre - Swimming Pool, which was the closest option I found from where I currently live. I'll start with the good. The pool is clean. But the whole property is quite old. It seems like it has not been renovated for last 25 years. Still, the pool had a sauna (which is not as hot as a Finnish sauna), which was also maintained well. Steam room smelled old. All in all, I would prefer a swim in any Finnish pool over this one.

But after a quick google search, I found more nice looking pools in Dublin. Following is one of those options I found. I'll write an update in future, once I visit this one. 
The Spencer Health Club pool in Dublin (Photo credits thespencerhealthclub.com)

Roadside Walking
Dublin is a small but very busy city. It's the same amount of people as Helsinki lives there. But still, somehow it feels quite busier than Helsinki. The number of crossings available is less, or I feel it as less. The crowd and less number of crossings make people cross roads from everywhere. The roads are busy (on office times) with buses, cars, cyclists and people who are crossing roads. Somehow all work together and it works. Drivers give space for cyclists (i think) and for people who are crossing roads. People also knows when to cross.

One of the very good things I saw in Dublin was that painted information about which way to look. As they are driving from the other side of the road, this helps quite a lot for tourists and busy people who are running to work.

(Photo credits Eve Andersson @ eveandersson.com)




No comments:

Post a Comment